Friday, February 28, 2014

Dinner- Palisades (Germany)

Each Wednesday the Palisades Restaurant in Eggleston, Virginia has a wine and beer paring from different regions of the world. This week the region was Germany. I was excited because I have heard many good things about this restaurant. I went with my friend Jonathan, who is also in this class! It was a challenge driving there! The roads were windy and dark. 


First, I had the oven roasted oyster with white wine, lemon and thyme. It was accompanied with Domaine des Vercheres Vin de Bourgogne 2011 (Wine) and Einbecker Pilsner (beer). Then I had the French onion soup with red and white wine and onions topped with crouton and provolone. It was accompanied with Famille Perrin Ventoux 2011 (Wine) and Lammsbrau Organic Lager. Lastly, I had a puff pastry filled with brie cheese, served with pomegranate pear chutney. This dish was accompanied with La Vieille Ferme Recolte 2011 (wine) and Paulaner Salvator Double Bock (beer). 

 
Wines in the picture:  Domaine des Vercheres, Famille Perrin , La vieille


This is my first ever wine and dinner paring. I was not sure what to expect and how the alcohol and food were going to compliment each other. I was pleasantly surprised in that alcohol does enhance the flavor of the food. 


The Pilsner (to the far left) was a light and airy beer. It cut the salty and briny flavor of the oyster perfectly. The wine did the same thing. However, when comparing the two, I prefer the beer more. Second the Lager (pictured in the middle) tasted great with the French Onion soup. The beer was smooth and light. It had a smoky after taste which gave the soup a more complexity. The Ventoux was sharp and acidic. It paired nicely with the salty soup and help cut some of that flavor. Lastly, was the puff pastry with the Bock (beer) and Recolte (wine). The amber colored beer was really bitter. The pear chutney was a little sweet.  However, it did not help cut the bitterness of the beer. The Recolte was very dry and had a similar effect as the beer.




Last, I ordered a chocolate dessert (pictured to the left) that was not on the tasting menu. It was really sweet, and I think that the last pairing of the Recolte and Bock complimented the sweetness of the chocolate nicely. It help cut the extreme sweetness and richness of the dessert. 

Overall, This was a great experience! My favorite appetizer was the Oyster. I really enjoyed the Einbecker Pilsner beer. It was light and smooth and had such a complexity to it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment